Recap: Do Your Own (Solder) Ironing Workshop
You can’t get spoiled if you do your own ironing. – Meryl Streep
On March 31, 2017 we held an Intro to Soldering workshop with special instruction by students Jack Doan, computer engineering, and Toby Elery, mechanical engineering. Additional assistance was provided by engineering students Jake and David.
Originally we were going to try to get some fun robot-shaped “learn to solder” kits. But since the ones from a famous maker magazine were sold out, we ordered these flashlight shaped learn to solder kits from MCM electronics instead. The kit included the circuit board, a white LED, battery holder, button switch, and battery.
We had 6 members soldering and 1 photographer, plus multiple people dropped by to check out the activity. A great time was had by all and every single person produced a working flashlight. Event photos and resources from the day’s handout are below.
- Instructables “How to Solder” http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-solder/
- SparkFun How to Solder: Through-Hole Soldering https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-solder-through-hole-soldering
- Beginner how to Solder (video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqV2xU1fee8
- Soldering Tutorial for Beginners: Five Easy Steps (video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qps9woUGkvI
- University of Cambridge Dept of Engineering Health & Safety’s Soldering Safely Guidelines http://safety.eng.cam.ac.uk/procedures/Soldering/soldering-safety
- Safe Soldering Checklist http://www.dummies.com/education/science/safe-soldering-checklist/
Different soldering and circuit-building practices
- The Art of “Manhattan” Style Circuit Construction http://www.sdmakersguild.org/the-art-of-manhattan-style-circuit-construction/
- Minimalistic Circuit Design http://hackaday.com/2009/12/01/minimalistic-circuit-design/
- Hossfeld, Karen J. ”Their Logic against Them”: Contradictions in Sex, Race, and Class in Silicon Valley in Technicolor: Race, Technology, and Everyday Life
- Nakamura, Lisa. “Indigenous Circuits: Navajo Women and the Racialization of Early Electronics Manufacture.” in American Quarterly. (66)4 Dec. 2014: 919-941.
- Senese, Mike. “Everything About this ‘Beautiful Woman Soldering’ Stock Photo is Wrong.” http://makezine.com/2016/03/08/beautiful-woman-soldering-stock-photo-wrong/
Organizing & space: Kristin Drogos
Organizing, flier, and handout: Kim Knight
Soldering instruction: Jack Doan and Toby Elery, with support from Jake and David
Photography: xtine burrough, Kristin Drogos, and Jessica Murphy
Equipment and general support: Andrew Culp, Paul Fishwick, Robert Gregg, Dale MacDonald, and Rosalie McManis